Sproutarians

Discussion Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Growing wheatgrass on plates vs. plastic trays

Tai

I have given up on using the expensive plastic wheatgrass trays to grow wheatgrass.  Over the years, the trays break and are really hard to store and they cost a lot ($3).  The other cheap version of plastic trays have really wide holes, and I used to lay down either banana leaves or fig leaves and then place a layer of soil and then the wheat and it was so time consuming. By the way, the person who taught me how to grow wheatgrass originally taught me to place NEWSPAPER down in the plastic tray and then dirt.  I was so repulsed by toxic newspaper that I used leaves instead.  But how sad that loyal Ann WIgmore followers would use newspaper.

Recently I had to clean up the yard and all my expensive plastic trays were thrown away by the gardener.  Luckily I have these odd square shaped white ceramic plates and I have been growing wheatgrass on them and I use the mist option on my garden hose and so far, NO MOLD.  NONE whatsoever.  To me, the benefit of using the plastic trays is so that water can esape through the holes.  In my case, I don't overwater and I have seen no need for holes. 

Here is my recipe from yesterday:

Green juice:

Wheagrass (one small tray)

Lettuce (heirloom...a lot...it composed the majority of juice)

Fresh spearmint

pineapple (the equivalent of a large half)

one apple

THe green juice with foam was about 1.5 quarts.   I shared with 3 people and there was some left, so I juiced a blend of sweet citrus and combined the green juice with the citrus juice and it was amazing.

--

March 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tai

This is my wheatgrass on ceramic plates.  No mold.  I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqP8_cQTCs8

I never thought I would LIKE the taste of wheatgrass, but I actually do mixing it with mint, orange and lettuce juice.

My little plate of wheatgrass yielded 3.5 oz of pure juice and there was foam to the 6 ounce mark.  When you stir the foam into the juice, some foam turns to juice. 

--

April 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JTP

I've never had an issue with growing wheatgrass on plastic trays... They've never broke and mold is never an issue.

April 6, 2016 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tai

I don't see mold so much where I live because it's so sunny, but there could be patches here and there sometimes.  I am not saying plastic is bad or that people shouldn't use it. I am just saying that I found my harmony with the ceramic plates.

I also realized that I can use filtered water much better than the mist option on the garden hose.  Filtered water is great because it goes with the ceramic cleanliness. 

But I am still learning because some of my trays produced shorter grass. But it might just be the variety of wheatgrass.

--

April 6, 2016 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tai

I think I just underwatered the trays that had shorter grass.  Some trays have normal length and they are just stronger and healthier.  The misting was not enough.  i needed to actually water them, because I had them in the sun and so there was too much evaporation.

--

April 6, 2016 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tai

Brian Nexus made a reply to my wheatgrass video (posted down below here) and I want to make a comment. He said that growing it outdoors will make it mold free because of good air circulation and I agree, because I took one tray inside for easy cutting and in two days of being indoors, I found patches of mold growing; meanwhile outside all my trays are mold free.

TheSproutarian1 day ago

Great video. Growing outside will help wheatgrass be mold free because of good air circulation, and using good quality seeds also helps and having the soil free of organic matter such as small pieces of bark etc. If mold does occur you will find that H202 is your friend....use 3/4 of a tablespoon on 500 ml of water and spray every second day,and for bigger mold problems it needs to be used in more extensive ways.

I am currently growing lots of oat grass, barley grass and wheat grass and pea shoot greens. I always grow these during the cold season in Australia.

--

April 8, 2016 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.